Become a Volunteer!
Applications for 2017-2018 closed on September 3, 11:59 PM. Being a VHIO volunteer affords numerous benefits, including opportunities to expand communication skills, language abilities, leadership, networking, and knowledge of both healthcare and the local communities. Qualities we seek in interpreters:
- Strong proficiency in English as well as Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Tagalog, and/or Vietnamese
- Be mature and reliable – you must notify coordinators at least 48 hours in advance if you are unable to attend an event you signed up for (except for emergencies)
- Have interpersonal skills to interact and communicate effectively with patients and hospital staff
- Be able to commit for at least one year to attend events and translate documents
- Receive training through our fall semester DeCal and spring semester workshops.
- Participate in at least 10 hours of volunteering per semester. New members are not required to fulfill volunteer hours until completing the DeCal. If a language group does not have adequate events to meet this 10-hour requirement, language department coordinators will evaluate membership based on your activity level.
- Attend at least two general VHIO-wide meetings or events per semester.
- Assist your respective language departments by working closely with the language department coordinators to build partnerships and help VHIO expand its presence by participating in campus events.
Submit your email here if you would like us to remind you before our 2018 deadline. You may need to give this form a minute to load. Please email email@example.com if you are having difficulties accessing this interest form.